Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Not-So-Great Depression by Amy Goldman Koss - ADVISABLE

Koss, Amy Goldman The Not-So-Great Depression: In which the economy crashes, my mom goes broke, my sister's plans are ruined, my dad grows vegetables, and I do not get a hamster. 272 pgs. Roaring Brook Press (Macmillan), 2010. 

Language- PG (a few swears, 1 G); Violence-G; Sexual Content: G. $11.99. 

Things don't always happen how you hope they will...ninth grader Jacki knows this to be true as her mom is laid off and all of a sudden, money, or the lack thereof, becomes an issue. Luckily, with her positive attitude, her best friend Emily, and adorable Adam B., Jacki and her family find a way to make it through the tough times. 

I thought this was a really cute book with an amazing title that catches the eye right off! Despite the grim circumstances her family is dealing with, Jacki has a quirky, positive attitude about it all which I found completely refreshing from the normal doom and gloom attitude you get a lot of times in YA books. It wasn't the fastest paced book but it had a timely theme and was entertaining enough. 

EL/MS-ADVISABLE. Whitney, Library-Teacher. 

No comments: