Saturday, April 22, 2017

I See Reality by Grace Kendall - NO

Kendall, Grace I See Reality: Twelve Short Stories About Real Life, 286 pgs. Farrar Straus Giroux Books, 2016. $17.99 Language – R (136 swears, 22 “f”), Mature Content – PG13; Violence – PG; 

These twelve stories capture unique perspectives, but they do not seem as “real life” as the title claims. However, maybe that is the point. Maybe the authors are trying to show that just because they are not real life to me does not mean that they are not real life for others. Nonetheless, I only enjoyed one story (“Blackbird” by Trisha Leaver); the other eleven were not appealing or pleasurable in any way (although “Things You Get Over, Things You Don’t” by Jason Schmidt was the most tolerable of those other eleven). As evidenced by the ratings above, I found far too much vulgarity in the stories for my liking. 

HS – NO. Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: