Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Treasures of Muhammad Ali


The Treasures of Muhammad Ali, 62 p. Carlton Books (Sterling), 2010.  434.95.  When is bicycle is stolen, Cassius Clay meets Joe Martin, a local police officer, who helps Clay channel his anger in to something more productive – boxing.  Paying his dues in the amateur rings, taking on the world during the Olympics and then heading off to the big tickets of professional boxing – the highs and lows are all here to see.  100’s of photographs grace the pages, astute commentary fill in the facts, and fourteen facsimile documents bring Ali’s story to life.  There is always that certain type of guy that you never know what to buy – well this is it.  I am not even a fan of boxing and I found myself quickly engrossed in Ali’s story.  I like this enough that I am even going to put it in the school library.  I know I will probably lose most of the inserts, but they just enhance the story.  I could see lots of fathers receiving this for Father’s Day in June, too.  MS, HS – OPTIONAL.  GIFT – ADVISABLE. Cindy, Library Teacher

No comments: