Friday, November 13, 2015

Record-Breaking Animals by Jon Richards and Ed Simkins –ESSENTIAL

Richards, Jon and Simkins, Ed Record-Breaking Animals 32 pgs. Lerner, 2016. $25.00 NONFICTION

This book presents thirteen top 10 lists for animals. Examples are speed on land, speed in water, loudest, longest migrations, biggest sleepers, and more. Each double page spread features charts, scientific explanations with illustrated examples, comparisons to humans, and a creative display of the top 10.

At first glance I was on my usual rampage about a non-fiction book choosing to forgo photography, but this book changed my mind. The illustrations are used creatively to present information in a variety of ways, and photos could not accommodate that. Additionally this book was fascinating, and I found myself reading every single scrap of information it contained and itching to look up more information online. I even pulled a teacher over to point out a fact I was excited about, just like I see students doing when they are really excited about something they have read. This would make such a fun daily read-aloud for students, teachers presenting one of the top 10 lists and including videos to showcase, which would really bring it to life. Now leave me alone, I am going to look up the top 10 loudest animals online so I can hear what this book is talking about…..

EL(K-3), EL –ESSENTIAL 

Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: