Friday, December 28, 2012

This is Not a Drill by Beck McDowell - OPTIONAL


McDowell, Beck This is Not a Drill, 216 p. Penguin, 2012.  $18.  Language: R (85 swears, 2 ‘f’, boys parts mentioned by name); Violence: PG-13; Mature Content: G.  

Emery and Jake are high school volunteers teaching French to first graders.  Bad enough that they had a really bad break up after Emery caught Jake two-timing her with another girl.  Then an angry father with a custody battle, a nasty divorce, PTSD, a gun and an attitude comes to steal away his son and the situation spirals out of control.  

Sure I understand this is a book for teens and the they usually respond better to books with teens as the main characters and the heroes, but after the real life school shooting in Connecticut, I think it is kind of ridiculous that the author would portray the trained adults as useless and the teens as the only heroes.  Ok, ok – I know the shooting hadn’t happened yet when she wrote this, but I can’t help but compare.  It is very well written – sucking you right in – and it does have very good advice for how to behave should you be caught in such a situation, but Jake’s prolific swearing just ruins it for me.  

HS – OPTIONAL. Cindy, Library Teacher

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

I read this beforetherecent shooting, so when various groups started saying that armed veterans should be posted at schools, it completely unnerved me! I, too, disliked the swearing. Otherwise, I mighthavebought it.