Saturday, December 28, 2019

The Rain Belongs Here by Julie Rogers - NEW ADULT

The Rain Belongs Here by Julie Rogers, 325 pages. Julie Rogers, 2019. $17.

Language: R (39 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG13

BUYING ADVISORY: NEW ADULT - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

On the evening of Ana’s 22nd birthday, her older brother, Finn, never comes home. After three months of searching for him, Ana still doesn’t know what happened or where he might be, but she knows she’s not the only one looking for him. Ana is going after Finn. And, no matter what happens, she is going to find him.

I could hardly convince myself to turn each page at the beginning of this book because it was so slow -- sometimes it took me days to motivate myself to pick up the book again. I was disappointed by my apathy towards this story and its characters after my excitement in reading the summary. Finally, about a fourth of the way in, I started caring about the search for Finn and the mystery surrounding his activities leading to his disappearance. The last half of the book went quickly for me, and I liked how everything was coming together until the last five pages. I thought I understood how everything was settling until those few pages created a new world shift. Mature content rating for sexual assault and sex; violence rating for death and gun violence.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: