Tuesday, December 24, 2019

A Sparrow’s Roar by C. R. Chua and Paolo Chikiamco - OPTIONAL

A Sparrow’s Roar by C. R. Chua and Paolo Chikiamco, 160 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL. BOOM! Box, 2019. $15.

Language: PG (6 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: G; Violence: PG13

BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Commander Elena is being recognized for her bravery and success by promotion to Great General, which will put her on the Council, but everything is thrown into chaos when they are attacked. With attacks seeming to come from every side, Elena’s sister, Per, finds herself playing a crucial role she never anticipated.

I love the illustrations of Per’s story -- they are full of energy and dynamically show readers the actions and emotions of the events. Each panel feels alive. This short story is not lacking action nor intrigue, but I found that I did not enjoy those elements as much as I would have liked to because of the confusion I felt when first reading it. Clarity was an issue for much of the book as it switches between characters and time periods. I think Per’s story is a good one, but I found that the first half needs to be read twice for comprehension.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: