Thursday, March 23, 2017

Finding Wonders by Jeannine Atkins - ESSENTIAL

Atkins, Jeannine Finding Wonders, 195 pgs. Atheneum Books For Young Readers, 2016 $16.99. Language: G (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: G; Violence: G.

Most people, when they think of women scientists of the past, can’t come up with many names. Well, there are a lot more influential women scientists than most people think. Maria Merian, Mary Anning, and Maria Mitchell are women who changed the world’s perspective on science, each in their own particular way.  Information that is now common in our minds, was discovered by these women that we need to honor for their amazing work.

This book, told in beautiful poetry, really gave me knowledge of these three women in science that I had never known.  I think that the author told the story of these women beautifully with a lot of respect for them.  It inspired me to believe that I can accomplish anything.  Nothing kept these women from their accomplishments, even though everything seemed to be against them.  This is a book that I could read over and over as many times as I wanted and still learn just a little more.

EL, MS - ESSENTIAL. Student Reviewer: ASJ

1 comment:

Jeannine Atkins said...

Thank you so much for reading and your kind words!