Sunday, January 17, 2016

Spooky & Spookier: Four American Ghost Stories by Lori Haskins Houran -- ADVISABLE

Houran, Lori Haskins Spooky & Spookier: Four American Ghost Stories, illustrated by Viviana Diaz. EARLY READER. Random House Step into Reading, 2003. $3.99. Content: PG.

This book contains short ghost stories about a horse, a painting, a skeleton, and a heart-broken sea captain. The stories and illustrations are creepy enough to thrill older elementary students without being too terribly scary. The story of the haunted outhouse provides a little humor to this otherwise dark topic. Although formatted as an early reader, this one is for more advanced students, or perhaps for a Halloween read-aloud.

EL (4-6) -- ADVISABLE. Reviewer: Caryn

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I agree with you and I am so confused by this book. I bought it for younger readers, like 1-2 grade, since its an early reader with a level 4. But Holy Smokes. Its SUPER SCARY with mature content! I won't let any younger readers check it out. The older readers roll their eyes at such a young looking book.

Caryn said...

I can definitely see how that would be an issue, Stephanie! My kindergartener, who is not always the bravest, didn't find it super scary. She actually thought the stories were hilarious, which I didn't expect at all. She especially loved the outhouse story. Naturally she had some questions, and I had to tread carefully when answering.