Friday, October 2, 2026

This is a Door by Daniel Nayeri - ESSENTIAL

This is a Door
by Daniel Nayeri
, 400 pages. NOVEL IN VERSE Sourcebooks, 2026. $20 

Language: G (0 swears 0 'f'); Mature Content: G; Violence: PG (Peril, death - not violent nor bloody) 

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - ESSENTIAL 

APPEALS TO: SEVERAL 

The boy is alone, the people in the Village call him Nothing because he has no name. But Nana, the old woman who takes care of the junkpile, tells him he is not nothing. So Ing (his nickname) sets out with a dog and a mouse to 1) find his father and learn his real name and 2) find his purpose. 

Daniel Nayeri is a master storyteller. He has written an amazing novel in verse, illustrated with his concrete poems. I was on the edge of my seat from beginning to end, and loved every minute of it. I loved the characters - the wise mouse, and oh, Poppy the dog is such a dog. There are two different poems describing grief, and he's spot on. I adored This is a Door and am highly recommending it. I hope readers can appreciate its movement and charm. The characters seem to be from a time (middle ages?) rather than a specific race or culture. 

Lisa Librarian 

No comments: