Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Tweet Cute by Emma Lord - HIGH

Tweet Cute by Emma Lord, 336 pages. St. Martin’s Press, 2020. $18.

Language: R (144 swears, 2 “f”); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Pepper’s mom is being ridiculous by adding yet another thing for Pepper to be doing with her extremely-full schedule: answering the family business tweets about cheese sandwiches. Jack is getting similar pressure from his dad, except that his dad doesn’t want Jack to do anything with that fancy social media stuff. Despite the Twitter war going on, these two teens find themselves becoming friends in real life -- until secrets and stress pile up and threaten to ruin the careful lives they were trying to build.

I knew that I was going to enjoy reading this story as soon as I started reading the synopsis, but I didn’t know that I was going to enjoy it as much as I did. Yes, the book is cheesy (no pun intended), but it wasn’t as predictable as I expected. I literally laughed out loud at the quips and antics of the characters, and I was absurdly touched by the kindness of the main characters and their classmates. I couldn’t get enough as the characters kept surprising me and taking me in directions I wasn’t expecting. The high swear count is the only reason this book is “optional” instead of “advisable” or “essential.”

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: