Saturday, September 21, 2019

Mending the Mind by Courtney Peppernell - ADVISABLE

Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2019. $17.

Language: G (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Peppernell has a beautiful way with words and a style that feels poetic, even if what she offers is not always set up in a structure that looks like a typical poem. She shares thoughts about heartbreak, encouragement, fear, and our impact on others throughout the five sections the thoughts are separated into. Readers are never told the full story, though a narrative is strung through the background of Peppernell’s poetry -- we understand and feel with Peppernell, even without all the details.

While I love poetry, I often have a hard time staying engaged through an entire book of poems, so I was surprised to find that I wanted to keep turning the pages until I had finished all of Peppernell’s words. I enjoyed the pensive and positive state her words helped me find within myself. Each of her poems are easy to read and relate to -- the kind of honest and sincere thoughts you want to read more of because they feel like truth.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: