Wednesday, September 25, 2019

My Unedited Writing Year by Hope Lyda - GIFT

My Unedited Writing Year by Hope Lyda, 368 pages. NON-FICTION. Harvest House Publishers, 2019. $20.

Language: G (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: G; Violence: G

BUYING ADVISORY: GIFT - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Lyda gives readers 365 invitations to get the creative juices flowing and to assure you that you are, in fact, a writer. With any sort of prompt you can think of -- from making lists to free writes to what if scenarios to writing prayers and blessings -- Lyda plans to help you stretch those writing muscles.

Creativity is not something that Lyda is in want of, but I have discovered that I don’t have as much of it as I thought -- though I suspect that I have more now after accepting some of the Lyda’s invitations. I loved going through the invitations to write from Lyda and that they were all so different. Writing ended up being addictive for me, and I would do several prompts in a row, even when I didn’t have time to. The various prompts helped to stretch the way that I think and engaged my mind with new thoughts. I love this book and think that it is a great undertaking for writers and those who don’t call themselves writers alike. However, I have advised that it not be bought for a library because it invites readers to write within its pages to fully engage with the prompts and the 365 prompts encourages readers to use it as a guide and companion for an entire year, both aspects of which break common library policies.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

1 comment:

Hope and Marc said...

Thanks for the review! I love that you were compelled at times to do several prompts in one sitting.My hope is that others will also dive in and be open to what emerges in mind, heart, and spirit as they greet a prompt and the space of a welcoming page. Thanks again. -Hope Lyda, author of My Unedited Writing Year