Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Girl Without a Face by Nasser Hashmi - NO

Girl Without a Face by Nasser Hashmi, 240 pages. Troubador Publishing Ltd., 2019. $13.

Language: R (58 swears, 24 “f”); Mature Content: PG-13; Violence: PG-13

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - NO

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Three months ago a ransom assault left Laura disfigured. The police have been working without progress since then to track down her assailants. With little confidence in the police, Laura doesn’t report the letter she receives from someone promising her more information about the four men who attacked her. Laura sets out on her own undercover role to enact justice -- or something like that.

Right from the start, something felt off as I was reading, as if I was being kept at a distance from the story. The feeling faded as I started to feel more part of the story in chapter two before I suddenly got kicked out again. I just couldn’t lose myself in Laura’s story. Also, I am not supportive of the main character’s relationship with her love interest -- it’s a toxic relationship. I think Hashmi has a good message about moving on from the bad things that happen to us, but the execution of the story to get that point across isn’t very effective.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: