Monday, March 5, 2018

The Big Lie by Julie Mayhew - OPTIONAL

Mayhew, Julie The Big Lie, 321 pgs. Candlewick Press, 2017. $18. Language: R (36 swears, 18 Fs); Mature Content: R; Violence: PG-13.

Jessika is a ‘good’ girl. Or at least that’s what she tries to be, but when her best friend Clementine opens her eyes to the cruel realities of life under Nazi rule in modern-day Great Britain, Jessika is faced with a difficult choice. Will she continue to live a safe and comfortable life according to the strict rules and pre-determined path of the regime or follow her friend into a life of freedom, but also danger? The decision is made more difficult by the high status of her family and the reputation she has for always following the rules. Jessika must decide if honesty truly is the best policy or if there are some truths that are better left unsaid. This novel that imagines what would have happened if Germany’s planned invasion of England had been successful, explores the themes of truth, love, and the value of freedom. 

I really liked this book and I’ve thought about it quite a lot since I finished. As a history teacher, I caught on pretty quickly to what was going on and understood the context of the story. There were a lot of little details of life under the Nazis that I don’t know if students would get without some background into what the Nazis taught and how they tried establish a “perfect” state. There is a side plot about the main character’s sexuality and to me it felt unnecessary. I understand the point the author was trying to make, but I felt like it bogged down in those sections. Because of the swearing and the sexual content, I would have to be careful about who I recommended this book to, even though I think it’s a book that could foster some really interesting discussions about truth and its importance.

HS - OPTIONAL. Reviewer: Andrea R


No comments: