Thursday, November 2, 2017

Samson the Mighty Flea! By Angela McAllister -OPTIONAL

McAllister, Angela Samson the Mighty Flea!, PICTURE BOOK Lerner, 2017. $18.
Samson is mighty and can lift many heavy things, but his small town flea circus is not enough. He finds his way to the big city, and discovers that its lonely at the top. He remembers his lost love and his home and discovers where true happiness lies.
This book is bold and bright with fantastic illustrations and lots of cover appeal. However I didn’t find that I enjoyed the story and I think students will have a challenge relating to flea’s. I am not sure exactly how his change of mind happened, it was very sudden and didn’t seem like a natural course. I like the message of the story: appreciate what you have, but I think there are better books that fit that bill. Also it bugged me that some of the book rhymed (even to the point of being forced) while other parts didn’t in the slightest.

EL (K-3) –OPTIONAL.  Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author

No comments: