Tuesday, December 10, 2013

When I Was Your Age edited by Amy Erlich - ADVISABLE

Ehrlich, Amy When I Was Your Age-Original Stories About Growing Up, 341 pgs. Candlewick Press, 2012. $14.99 Language-G, (0 swears, 0 “f”) Sexual Content-G; Violence- G; 

There is nothing I love more than when my Dad would tell me stories of his childhood.  This is a collection of stories from famous authors including Avi, Francesca Lia Block, Joseph Bruchac, Susan Cooper, Paul Fleischman, Karen Hesse, James Howe, E. L. Konigsburg, Reeve LIndbergh, Norma Fox Mazer, Nicholasa Mohr, Kyoko Mori, Walter Dean Myers, Howard Norman, Mary Pope Osborne, Katherine Paterson, Michael J. Rosen, Rita Williams-Garcia, Laurence Yep, Jane Yolen.  I love the story that Avi tells of his scout trip in heart of New York City.  It's hilarious.  It wonderful to hear authors tell their stories from one wishing she had a dog so she could feed her mother's horrible cooking to the poor canine to growing up in World War II where bomb shelters on the playground were a way of life.  Fun read. 

EL, MS, HS, – ADVISABLE. Emilee, Teacher Librarian

No comments: