Monday, October 22, 2012

The High Skies Adventures of Blue Jay the Pirate by Scott Nash –ADVISABLE


Nash, Scott The High Skies Adventures of Blue Jay the Pirate 368 pgs. Candlewick, 2012. $10.79.  (Rating: G)
Birds are the pirates in this book, and their ship sails in the sky. Captain Blue Jay obtains a rare egg. It hatches, a bird that will change the course of their adventures. On the ground Sparrows are just trying their best to get by. The two worlds collide when the pirates must take refuge with the peaceful, but bullied sparrows. Together they must face the Crows that plague their land. A bit of help from a mole and their hatch-ling, might just even the odds.
Honestly, I am way over the animal adventures (like Redwall, I think I read myself half to death on that series when I was growing up). But this book really surprised me. I found myself really liking the characters and the story. There are some really nice illustrations all throughout. I think students will enjoy this pirate story!
ELEMENTARY–ADVISABLE Reviewer: Stephanie School Librarian & Author.

No comments: