Friday, March 9, 2012

Hannah’s Way by Linda Glaser - ESSENTIAL


Glaser, Linda Hannah’s Way, illustrated by Adam Gustavson.  Kar-Ben (Lerner), 2012.  $18.  PICTURE BOOK.  During the Great Depression, Hannah and her family have moved out to the country – away from he city where everyone understands the family’s Jewish ways.  When the school plans a picnic on Saturday and arranging carpools, Hannah is unsure what to do, because  she is not allowed to ride in a car on the Sabbath.  She is afraid that if she tells anyone that they will ostracize her.  

Based on a true story from the Minnesota History Center, this is a very tender book that is a great way to introduce children to the ways of different religions – especially if all they have ever known is one way.  If I had an award to give, I would give this book one, because I have read it several times and I still get teary eyed when I read the end.  EL – ESSENTIAL. Cindy, Library Teacher

No comments: