Saturday, January 25, 2020

Nameless Queen by Rebecca McLaughlin - ADVISABLE


Nameless Queen by Rebecca McLaughlin, 352 pages. Random House, 2020. $18.

Language: PG (15 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG-13

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

As a Nameless, the most 17yo Coin can hope for is to not get caught pickpocketing today. But when the king dies and the tattoo revealing his named heir appears on her shoulder, Coin has to face a new reality: being named as heir means that she has a name and that those of higher rank just gained another reason to dislike her.

All around, McLaughlin has crafted a splendid read. I loved how there was so much adversity to overcome alongside the problems needing to be solved and how McLaughlin brought things together in the end. I loved all the different characters with their varying motivations and how they ended up helping each other. I loved the messages of social classes and the definition of family. I even loved the acknowledgements section at the end of the book, which I don’t normally read. While McLaughlin has set things up to potentially write a sequel, part of me doesn’t want any sequels because I am so content with how great Coin’s story was and how satisfied I am with the ending.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen


No comments: