Wednesday, January 30, 2019

The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear! by Tom Angleberger - ADVISABLE


Star Wars: The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear by Tom Angleberger, illustrated by Andie Tong, 262 pages.  Disney Press, 2018.  $14.  

Content: Language: G; Mature Content: G; Violence: G.  

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL, MS – ADVISABLE  

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH  

Chewbacca is sent on a mission to retrieve an important book with Mayv, a librarian and a cargo droid.  At first the mission seems like a business transaction, but when the lady who sent them on the mission threatens to hurt Hans Solo if Chewie doesn’t return with the book, Mayv and Chewie have to step up their efforts.  They fly to a plant covered forest where they have trouble with the aggressive monsters on the island, but Chewie and Mayv become friends and work together to find what they are looking for.  

I’m that rare non-Star Wars lover, but I think Chewie is adorable and I love him, so I enjoyed this story.  I listened to it on audio and the readers and sounds made me feel like I was watching a movie.  I liked the adventure and thought the forest was creative and well described.  I enjoyed the characters and their humor.  The story is simple, but I do think this book fits at a middle school level for Star Wars fans as well as reluctant readers.  The illustrations are three full-page drawings dispersed throughout the book. Quick, fun read.  

C. Peterson    

No comments: