Sunday, May 3, 2020

Noise Makers: 25 Women Who Raised Their Voices & Changed the World - ESSENTIAL

Noise Makers: 25 Women Who Raised Their Voices & Changed the World, 223 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL/NONFICTION. Alfred A. Knopf (Random House), 2020. $26
Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G; Violence: G.

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - ESSENTIAL 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

This unique format book is a collection of graphic novel style biographies done by a variety of authors. The biographies are divided by the topics grow, tinker, play, create, rally, and explore. For each biography there is a short summary of the woman’s life, a list of ways that the reader may be similar to the woman, and a six to seven page graphic novel biography. 

I loved the different styles of the artist/authors and I learned a lot reading this book; I didn’t know many of the women included. My favorite part was the list of ways you may be similar to the incredible woman you are about to read about. For Eugenie Clark the list includes: “I’ve visited aquariums. I like to swim. The ocean is my happy place...I am brave. I am curious.”  

Jen Wecker, HS English Teacher

No comments: