Saturday, November 30, 2019

Not Hungry by Kate Karyus Quinn - ADVISABLE

Not Hungry by Kate Karyus Quinn, 200 pages. POETRY. West 44 Books, 2019. $20.

Language: PG (2 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

June has a secret, one that makes her lie every day to keep hidden. One day, she isn’t as diligent about making sure she’s alone, and her new neighbor becomes witness to her secret. June’s world starts to change after that not-so-secret moment, but are things getting better or worse?

I love that June’s story is told through poems. I felt like I understood her thoughts better, that I could relate to her more, and that her emotions were better conveyed through poems than they would have been through a traditional novel style. This story is one of secrets and lying, of perception and judgement, and of courage and love. I was surprised by how much I like it, not expecting it to touch my heart like it has.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: