Thursday, November 28, 2019

Lettering for Absolute Beginners by Danielle Stringer - NO

Fox Chapel Publishing, 2020. $20.

Language: G (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: G; Violence: G

BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS - NO

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Stringer was a beginner at lettering not too long ago herself, and she’s never taken a class in lettering. Her love for and success with lettering drives her desire to teach others who may want to learn how to write more creatively.

I love how encouraging and upbeat Stringer is throughout her instructions. However, I feel that Stringer was very repetitive, going over the same tips and processes with each project she suggested. Furthermore, teaching a skill takes a lot of practice, and I appreciate examples to see what I’m supposed to be practicing; Stringer did more telling than showing as she directed readers in the art of lettering, making it more difficult for me to follow along and want to practice.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: