Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Manga Classics: The Jungle Book by Crystal S. Chan - OPTIONAL

Manga Classics: The Jungle Book by Crystal S. Chan, 327 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL. Udon Entertainment, 2017. $18.

Language: G (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Despite the impression given by Disney’s movie with this same title, The Jungle Book is about more than Mowgli and his jungle adventures. Seven stories are contained between these covers, with three about Mowgli and the other four about different animal heroes.

I was disappointed to not be as enchanted by this manga classic as I have been with the others I’ve read. While I did like learning about the original story of Mowgli, I found several of the other stories to be confusing, especially regarding their main points. Also, this classic adaptation has a different illustrator than the other adaptations I’ve read, and I don’t like the style of these pictures as much. Overall, I like the opportunity to read a classic in the more approachable context of a graphic novel, but, in reading this version, I’ve decided that reading the original is unnecessary -- which is the opposite experience I’ve had with other manga classics.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen 

No comments: