Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Astronaut Annie by Suzanne Slade - ESSENTIAL

Astronaut Annie by Suzanne Slade, illustrated by Nicole Tadgell.  PICTURE BOOK.  Tilbury House, 2018.  $18. 9780884485230

EL (K-3), EL – ESSENTIAL. 

A young girl is getting ready for Career Day at her school.  Her teacher has told her to keep her dream a secret, but each of the important adults in her life give her something that is special to their lives that she incorporates into her own chosen career – astronaut.

I love so many things about this book.  I love that the girl is African American.  I love that she talks to her grandparents.  I love that she can keep a secret and still incorporate the treasured offerings into her project.  And I love that she is dreaming big!  A great read aloud, a great discussion starter, a great example of how to approach career day – so many classroom uses.

Cindy, Middle School Librarian

No comments: