Monday, June 11, 2018

Fandom by Francesca Davis DiPiazza - ESSENTIAL

Fandom: Fic Writers, Vidders, Gamers, Artists, and Cosplayers by Francesca Davis DiPiazza, 97 pages. NONFICTION.  Twenty-First Century Books, 2018. $36.99 

Language – G (0 swears, 0 “f”), Mature Content – G; Violence – G

MS, HS – ESSENTIAL 

Fandom gives a brief history of the doings of those obsessed with something, usually considered nerdy, to the point that they express their passion, specifically in the forms of the written word, video, costume making, visual art works, and game development. DiPiazza also explains common jargon that fans use and how fanfic works have evolved with further advances in technology.

The information put forth by DiPiazza is amazing and had me exclaiming, “No way!” the entire time. In reading about how passionate people can be and about their openness to express their love, I have both been inspired to do things that I have always wanted to and realized that I have made fanfic without even knowing that I have been. I promise that this book is more interesting than my synopsis makes it out to be—people and their imaginations are so cool! I loved reading Fandom and will probably be rereading it soon to continue learning how I want to learn to express myself. 

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: