Sunday, August 2, 2026

Time Travel for Beginners by Jaclyn Moriarty - OPTIONAL

Time Travel for Beginners by Jaclyn Moriarty, 544 pages. Berkley (Penguin Random House), 2026. $28.

Language: R (50 swears, 9 “f”); Mature Content: PG13 (alcohol use and mentions of drugs, nudity, pornography, and sex); Violence: PG (assault, gun use, self harm, and murder)

BUYING ADVISORY: OPTIONAL - ADULTS

APPEALS TO: SOME

Getting hit by a car on her way to work was just what Anna needed. The incident gave her a legitimate excuse for being late and became the impetus for a career change, leading to a new job at the Time Travel Agency. Which has to be fake. Right?

Despite all the time travel that occurs, Anna’s story reads like a slice of life piece rather than a scifi. The story is told by Anna, Teddy, and Jade as they try to figure out how to be the best parents, siblings, and partners, making mistakes and learning to forgive. I was surprised to realize I like the story as much as I do because there was hardly ever anything going on up until the life-or-death climax, and yet I kept reading and rooting for Anna as she tried so hard to live well. Anna and the majority of characters are Australian.

Reviewer: Carolina Johnson

No comments: