Language: G (0 swears 0 'f'); Mature Content: G; Violence: PG (bullying)
BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - ADVISABLE
APPEALS TO: SOME
11yo Hattie Mae is allowed to attend Miss Abigail's School for Exceptional Young Ladies in Philadelphia. But in 1938, there are rich black families and poor black families, and Hattie Mae, being from North Carolina, just doesn't fit in with the other girls. And they let her know it. She makes a friend, but Lisa, probably the wealthiest of the girls, is cruel. Hattie wants to be a lawyer someday, or maybe a doctor.
This is unfair, but Hattie Mae is strong and resilient and won't let mean girls keep her down.
I didn't mind that it was a novel in verse - sometimes the poetry breaks up the story because the chapters are so short, but this wasn't the case. I enjoyed the historical look at depression era Philadelphia. I enjoyed Sharon Flake's poetry; I felt the story was gripping without it being just about Hattie Mae dealing with a mean girl. There was a lot more - being courageous, learning to fit in without losing yourself, recognizing change and adapting to it. It's historical fiction, so I'm going to have to hand-sell it, but I think I can easily find some readers in my library.
The characters are black.
Lisa Librarian

No comments:
Post a Comment