Tuesday, August 18, 2026

America is Wild! by Brad Timm, illustrated by Jill De Haan and Margaux Samson Abadie - ADVISABLE

America is Wild! A State-by-State Encyclopedia of American Wildlife by Brad Timm, illustrated by Jill De Haan and Margaux Samson Abadie, 208 pages. NON-FICTION Wide Eyed (Quarto), 2026. $23

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - ADVISABLE 

APPEALS TO: SOME 

The United States has a very diverse environment, with lots of plants and animals. From each state, the author highlights 4 or so plants and animals that represent their wildlife; some are iconic (I bet you can guess what Wyoming's mammal is), while others are surprising (I didn't know South Dakota had Cactus!) We learn the common name, the Latin name, and some interesting facts about each one. 

America is Wild was a lot of fun. Nice reference book, with great illustrations. The information is concise and accurate, and there's a variety of entries from each state - a bird, a mammal, a tree, a flower, an insect - 3-4 different plants and 3-4 different animals on a 4-page spread. I loved that there was always a "fun fact", not just the general information. An interesting read that I hope will be enjoyed in my library. 

Lisa Librarian 



No comments: