Sunday, August 23, 2020

All These Monsters by Amy Tintera - HIGH

All These Monsters by Amy Tintera, 464 pages. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing, 2020. $18. 

Language: R (150 swears, 15 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG13

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

17yo Clara might not be ready to fight scrabs, but she is ready to leave home - and never set foot in Texas again. Clara joins up with Grayson’s group to fight the scrab presence in Europe, discovering more about herself and the kind of life she can have than she knew was possible.

I love Tintera, and I have read all of her books; I was more than excited to get this book to review. My excitement might have been a little over the top, though, because I was disappointed by the slow beginning of this book. Thankfully, Tintera came through for me with relatable characters, skillful balancing of seriousness and humor, and a deeper plot than I at first suspected. I also appreciate that Tintera comments on difficult topics in her books, speaking on the subject of abuse -- and the hope of moving forward -- through several points of view in All These Monsters. The mature content rating is for alcohol use, including underage drinking, and mentions of sex; the violence rating is for domestic violence, child abuse, verbal and physical abuse, gore, battle, and death.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: