Friday, March 29, 2019

Period Power by Nadya Okamoto –OPTIONAL

Period Power by NadyaOkamoto. 354 pages, Simon, 2018 $20

Language: PG ; Mature Content: PG; Violence: G

BUYING ADVISORY: HS –OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Intended as a manifesto on menstruation, the author presents information on how periods are misunderstood and those who menstruate are often discriminated against. Interwoven is information about menstruation itself, from biology to the use of period products. Readers also learn strategies about how to change the status quo and to feel confident as menstruaters in today's world.

This book has some incredible information both about the body and society. My favorite part was the history of the tampon. It gave me a turn when it made me realize I never thought about those who were experiencing their period in poverty! However, there are a couple of issues with this book that I think would be a significant deterrent for the target audience; first it is just way too long and too wordy. I think the information, as fascinating as it is, could be presented more succinctly. Second, its present in novel type format, I think it would have been way more appealing in a better non-fiction type format with lots of photographs, glossy pages, and interesting layouts.  

Reviewer: Stephanie MLS & Author.


No comments: