Monday, September 10, 2018

The Story of Moana by Kari Sutherland - OPTIONAL


The Story of Moana: A Tale of Courage and Adventure by Kari Sutherland, 300 pages.  Disney Press, 2016. $11.  

Language: G; Violence: PG; Mature Content: G.  

BUYING ADVISORY: EL -OPTIONAL  

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Moana has always been told that the sea is bad, but she can’t deny the fact that the ocean is calling to her. When the island begins to die as prophesied from long ago, Moana voyages to save her people.  Along the way she finds Maui, a demigod to help her on her quest to put the heart of Tahiti back where it belongs and save her island. 

I did not particularly enjoy this book. I had a hard time with the story itself. The book is almost word for word like the movie except for the musical numbers. I was disappointed and was hoping for something more original. I did, however, enjoy the folktales of the Pacific Islands that were told between chapters. I thought that they were a good contribution to the book.  

I. Peterson, student reviewer

No comments: