Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Spirit Sleuths: How Magicians and Detectives Exposed the Ghost Hoaxes by Gail Jarrow - ESSENTIAL

Spirit Sleuths: How Magicians and Detectives Exposed the Ghost Hoaxes 
by Gail Jarrow, 173 pages. NON-FICTION Calkins Creek (Astra/Boyds Mill), 2024. $25. 

Content: G 

BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS, ADULT - ESSENTIAL 

APPEALS TO: SEVERAL 

In the mid-1800s, in upstate New York, rapping sounds in an old home were attributed to the presence of ghosts. A pair of teen aged sisters claimed to be able to communicate with the dead and Spiritualism was born. But were the clairvoyants and mediums real? Some people believed others did not. Fake mediums put on elaborate shows, making people believe their departed loved ones were trying to reach them, and swindled many people out of lots of money. Harry Houdini (the magician and escape artist) and others made unmasking these fakers their life's work. 

I love Gail Jarrow's books so very much. I can't put them down. Well researched, well told and I know it will be well read.  Spirit Sleuths kept me on the edge of my seat, and I couldn't help but tell about it to anyone who would listen. While most of the book is about the 1850s - 1920s, Jarrow includes a look at 21st-century psychics and mediums as well. Includes a timeline, glossary, and sites to find out more. I even loved the author's note. An essential buy for a school library. I have all her books.

Lisa Librarian 

No comments: