Friday, February 10, 2023

Iveliz Explains it All by Andrea Beatriz Arango - ESSENTIAL

Iveliz Explains it All
by Andrea Beatriz Arango
, 272 pages. Random House. 2022. $17. 

Content: G. 

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - ESSENTIAL 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH 

12yo Iveliz is going through a lot. She and her mother are grieving the loss of Iveliz's father, she's seeing a therapist because things aren't going well at school - she keeps acting out and getting in trouble,  and her grades are awful. Now, her Abuela has moved in with them, she can no longer live alone in Puerto Rico and she is exhibiting signs of Alzheimer's. Iveliz takes medication to help with her anxiety, but Abuela thinks the therapy and pills are a bad idea. 

Wow, I really loved Iveliz Explains it All. I loved the writing - I'm not a big fan of books in verse but have no complains about this one; many of her short conversations with her mother or grandmother were in Spanish - not translated and sometimes no context but it was fine - I was watching their story and it was ok that some of their conversations were private. I found myself in tears at one point - I love it when that happens. Highly recommended1  Loved it! Iveliz and her family are Puerto Rican 

Lisa Librarian

No comments: