Tuesday, March 29, 2022

The Deadliest Diseases Then and Now by Deborah Hopkinson - OPTIONAL

 The Deadliest Diseases Then and Now by Deborah Hopkinson, 224 pages. NON-FICTION. Scholastic, 2021. $8

Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content PG; Violence: G 

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - OPTIONAL 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE 

Readers may be surprised to learn that deadly pandemics have always been a part of history. Hopkinson covers how pandemics were treated, their effect, and what we have learned from history, especially in light of the Covid-19 pandemic. 

The book is well researched with pictures throughout. There is a glossary and some activities at the back. I wanted to like this book more than I did. It dragged for me and I wish there would have been more stories to increase the urgency and engagement. The facts seemed too sterile and clinical for me, though highly relevant. 

Michelle in the Middle 

No comments: