Monday, March 21, 2022

Letter to a Stranger by Colleen Kinder - OPTIONAL

Letter to a Stranger: Essays to the Ones Who Haunt Us by Colleen Kinder, 336 pages. NONFICTION. Algonquin Books, 2022. $20.

Language: R (24 swears, 7 “f”); Mature Content: R; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL, ADULT - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

This collection of 65 letters will make you laugh and then invite you to cry. Organized into several categories -- including gratitude, wonder, and remorse -- these writers take you to all seven continents, but the real journey is in the impact of strangers and how each writer has moved forward since then.

Reading these intimate thoughts has taken me on many adventures, though my favorite adventures have been the ones that they have helped me remember. I have written a couple of letters to my own strangers, intrigued by the impact the strangers I have met have had on me years later -- just like the authors of those whose letters I’ve been reading. As I pondered my interactions with strangers, I was surprised to find that some of the experiences I was reading felt as personal and life-changing to me, a reader, as the ones I’ve had with my strangers as a participant. The mature content rating is for drug and alcohol use, indecent exposure, mentions of rape, and oral and vaginal sex.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: