Thursday, November 4, 2021

The Bridge by Bill Konigsberg - ESSENTIAL

The Bridge by Bill Konigsberg
, 400 pages. Scholastic, 2020. $19 

Language: R (100+ swears, 111 ‘f’); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG (suicidal ideation) 

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - ESSENTIAL 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH 

April 17, 3:45 PM: Aaron Boroff has been staring at the Hudson River, flowing under the George Washington Bridge, when a sobbing girl rushes past him. Is she contemplating suicide also? What if she does and Aaron doesn’t – will he carry her memory with him? What if she doesn’t but Aaron does? How will lives left behind be affected if they both do? Is it possible they can save each other if neither of them do? 
Konigsberg looks at all four possibilities in this deep, rich novel that gives no easy outs for the reader. I found myself rereading each part to connect even more deeply with Aaron and Tillie’s choices. I didn’t even notice any of the content issues as I was reading, but the story is so emotionally charged. Very much a winner. The book is so compelling to read that I was surprised at the swears counts when I totalled them - I really didn't notice those word choices during the reading.

Cindy, Library Teacher, MLS 

No comments: