Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Long Distance by Whitney Gardner - ADVISABLE

 

Long Distance by Whitney Gardner, 317 pages.  GRAPHIC NOVEL Simon and Schuster, 2021. $21.99.  

Language: G; Mature Content: G; Violence: PG.  

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

  Vega's two dads have moved her to Seattle, Washington and she is struggling about leaving her best friend behind. In an attempt to help Vega get to know new people, her dads sign her up for a summer camp.  Vega feels socially awkward, and the camp has a weird vibe, but slowly she starts to make new friends. The new friends also notice that there is a boy who seems to live at the camp full time and the counselors aren't who they appear.  The clues are stacking up to make this the weirdest summer camp any of the campers have ever attended.

     I loved Fake Blood by Whitney Gardner, so I was excited to read this.  I liked Fake Blood better as this gets way out there and at a point I felt like I was watching a Saturday morning cartoon gone wrong. However, I like Vega and I think her struggles socially are something most kids can relate to.  Although the plot gets very sci-fi strange, I enjoyed the unpredictable plot.  The image are well done, bright and attractive and for those kids who devour graphic novels, this book will be a hit.

Reviewer, C. Peterson


No comments: