Thursday, November 12, 2020

The Con Code by Shana Silver - OPTIONAL

The Con Code by Shana Silver, 336 pages. Swoon Reads (Macmillan Publishing Group), 2020. $19.

Language: R (118 swears, 1 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

17yo Fiona rules the school when it comes to cons and forgeries. When an FBI agent and his son move into town, Fiona knows to be cautious of the new enemy on her turf so as to not draw attention to her and her father’s illegitimate past times. Fiona is shocked when her enemy isn’t interested in busting her but, instead, wants to steal her clientele as he cons his way into everyone’s hearts and wallets.

Reading Fiona’s story was painful -- excruciatingly so at the beginning, though it eventually eased a little. I couldn’t watch Fiona fall for the cons I could see coming, and Silver was so good at making me hate Colin that I dreaded the rest of the book, wary of what he would do next. Kudos to Silver for eliciting strong emotions, but it backfired by making it difficult for me to motivate myself to keep reading through my embarrassment for the characters (mostly Fiona). The Con Code was not quite the fun con book I was hoping for, though there are still plenty of amazing and improbable feats completed by teenage con artists. I ended on amicable terms with this book, even if I know I’ll never reread it. The mature content is for innuendo, mentions of sex, partial nudity, and illegal activity.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: