Friday, November 23, 2018

Nevertheless, We Persisted: 48 Voices of Defiance - HIGH

Nevertheless, We Persisted: 48 Voices of Defiance, Strength, and Courage by In This Together Media, 275 pages. Alfred A. Knopf (Random House Children’s Books), 2018. $18.99

Language: R (12 swears, 4 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG13

BUYING ADVISORY: HS – OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

The 48 contributors who have shared their stories have done so to help readers know that they are not alone, that they can overcome the obstacles in their paths, and that they can accomplish anything they want. These men and women have faced biases and bigotry, war and injury, divorce and disability, discouragement and more—and they have chosen to come out of all those hardships on top. They rally around their readers to help each of us know of our worth and fight to become the best we can be, in whatever form that looks like.

In reading all the hardships that others have fought through and how a lot of these persisters have only arrived at where they are because of the hardships they faced, I feel like I can accomplish all of my dreams. I also found that my own fears and insecurities were articulated in a way that helped me understand myself better when I couldn’t put my feelings into words. While I may not know any of these inspiring people personally, I feel their support in my life.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: