Monday, July 2, 2012

Three Stories You Can Read to Your Teddy Bear by Sara Swan Miller - ADVISABLE

Miller, Sara Swan.  Three Stories You Can Read to Your Teddy Bear, illustrated by True Kelley.  Sandpiper (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), 2012 (originally published in hardcover in 2003). $5.99.  PICTURE BOOK.  This book contains three short stories: "A Good Idea," "What's for Breakfast?," and "The Great Outdoors."  In each of the stories, Teddy sets out to do something (because we all know a teddy bear's life is super boring).  Each time Teddy goes out, the teddy bear's owner finds him/her in some sot of a predicament, but somehow Teddy never gets into trouble.  He/she always winds up resting and relaxing (as teddies often do).  If you read my review for Three More Stories You Can Read to Your Cat, then you know I didn't like that one.  This book, however, was not nearly as bad.  Perhaps it is that I am more used to the writing style, but I found the stories more charming.  My son read the stories to us as a family and my daughter couldn't stop laughing during "What's for Breakfast?"  Therefore, based on my more favorable opinion and my children's definite recommendation of the book, I would say that buying this book is certainly worth the money, though still maybe not a must-have.  Your students will enjoy it.   EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE.  Brent Smith, Reading Teacher

No comments: