Saturday, February 26, 2022

Wakers by Orson Scott Card - ADVISABLE

Wakers by Orson Scott Card, 400 pages. Margaret K. McElderry Books (Simon & Schuster), 2022. $20.

Language: PG13 (22 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Laz (17yo) wakes up alone in a box in a lab. Getting out of his box shows that there are other boxes with people in them, but they’re dead. Leaving the lab only raises more questions when Laz discovers that he’s the only living person in the city and that there isn’t any writing anywhere – no books, no magazines, no ads, no trash. Is this all a coincidence, or is someone putting Laz through this on purpose?

Orson Scott Card has done it again – need I say more? Somehow, Card is able to strike a balance between complicated plots and scifi imaginings without overwhelming his readers. While I can’t honestly say that everything made sense and none of the theorizing went over my head, the questions that I have compelled me to keep reading to figure out the answers. I have enough questions left for a sequel to be a welcome continuation, but the ending of Wakers is also conclusive enough to be satisfying and let me ponder my remaining questions on my own. The mature content rating is for nudity and innuendo; the violence rating is for descriptions of corpses.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: