Saturday, February 12, 2022

The Valet’s Secret by Josi S. Kilpack - OPTIONAL

The Valet’s Secret by Josi S. Kilpack, 288 pages. Shadow Mountain Publishing, 2022. $16.

Language: G (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

Kenneth is pretending to be his valet when he meets -- and kisses -- Rebecca. Despite the best of intentions, Kenneth’s deception hurts Rebecca when she discovers the truth because she is a maid and he is heir to an earldom, a combination that is socially unacceptable. With every reason to say no, why do they want to say yes?

Kilpack quickly informs readers that her main characters are in their forties (48- and 42-years-old, respectively), and I nearly put down the book in my surprise, unsure that I could relate to such characters. Despite the age difference, I found myself understanding their conflicts between what they wanted and they were told they should do. I became invested in their lives and wanted to see things turn out well, and I enjoyed the details reminiscent of Cinderella stories.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen 

No comments: