Tuesday, December 14, 2021

The Vanishing Deep by Astrid Scholte - ADVISABLE

The Vanishing Deep by Astrid Scholte
, 423 pages. G.P Puntam's Sons (Penguin), 2020. $14 

Language: R (13 swears, 1 ‘f’); Mature Content: G; Violence: PG-13 (corpses described, murder) 

BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS - ADVISABLE 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

 For the last two years Tempest has been living on a man-made island called Equinox without anyone to care for her. When she was 12, her parents died in a tragic accident and just 2 years ago her dear sister, Elysea drowned. For the past 2 years since Elysea died Tempest tried desperately to salvage enough money to 'revive' her sister in the strange island of Palindromia where they can regenerate the human heart for 24 hours. What secrets will Tempest uncover when her sister wakes up being dead? Will 24 hours be enough time to say goodbye? 

I was excited for this one; Astrid Scholte wrote Four Dead Queens, which I though was a great read, so my hopes for this book were high. Scholte does a really great job at character motivation. I felt for each on the of characters and their mission and I feel like their motivations where more complex and deeper than some other novels. The plot was also interesting and I found that it was constantly flowing and keeping me entertained. 

Kenzie Hoehne, Student Reviewer 

No comments: