Thursday, December 23, 2021

The Raven and the Dove by Kaitlyn Davis - OPTIONAL

The Raven and the Dove by Kaitlyn Davis, 506 pages. Kaitlyn Davis, 2020. $22. 

Language: PG (13 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG13

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Lyana is Princess of the House of Peace, born with the dove wings of her kingdom and with healing magic she hides from everyone. Rafe is visiting the House of Peace when a dragon attacks, suffering wounds no one should be able to recover from. Risking her secret to save the raven-winged stranger, Lyana hides Rafe in a cave until he’s healed, unaware of the secrets he, too, is hiding.

Davis weaves subplots and motives together in a way that begs readers to turn the next page. However, I was disconnected from the story by inconsistencies, annoyance with characters, and passages that dragged. The ending ties the subplots together enough for a sense of satisfaction while still leaving tantalizing questions that lead to the sequel. I am ensnared by the whispers that tell me I need to know what happens next, but I know I’ll get over it because I didn’t love the story enough to read more. The mature content rating is for innuendo, and the violence rating is for self harm, battle gore, and attempted murder.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: