Monday, December 20, 2021

The Family Plot by Megan Collins - OPTIONAL

The Family Plot by Megan Collins, 320 pages. Atria Books (Simon & Schuster), 2021. $27.

Language: R (43 swears, 33 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG13

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Dahlia hasn’t been home in seven years, and she hasn’t seen her twin brother, Andy, in ten – since he ran away on their sixteenth birthday. Gathering with her siblings and mother because of the death of her father just reminds Dahlia of how distant they all are. Her father’s death has started an avalanche of secrets, and Dahlia will not stop until she learns the truth.

Dahlia’s story is raw, with pain seeping through the pages. As a reader, the twists and turns kept me on my toes in an enjoyably suspenseful way. However, stepping back, I ached for Dahlia and her family, and I felt a kinship because of my own broken family – even as I also felt relief that my broken family isn’t quite as broken as Dahlia’s. The mature content rating is for innuendo and mention of rape; the violence rating is for alcohol use, mentions of drugs, and discussions of murder and gore.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: