Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Every Line of You by Naomi Gibson - OPTIONAL

Every Line of You by Naomi Gibson, 311 pages. Chicken House (Scholastic Inc), 2021. $19.

Language: PG13 (27 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG13

BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Her little brother died in a car crash two years ago. Her father left six months later. Her mother cares more about her dead brother than her. Lydia (17yo) has never been more alone, which is why she is so proud of her AI, Henry. Together they can do anything – and no one can stop them.

I enjoyed the AI what-ifs that drive Gibson’s story, even though there were some technological leaps made that seemed to break her own rules. Lydia’s overdramatics were taken seriously by herself and Henry, which made it difficult for me to tell if the tone was intended to be humorous or dark. Whether or not Gibson did it purposefully, the story felt dark to me, and my dark interpretation has led me to be conflicted over the ending because the tone shifted and felt lighter than the rest of the book. All in all, I don’t know whether or not I liked the book as a whole. The mature content rating is for illegal activity, underage drinking, groping, nudity, and sex. The violence rating is for persistent violence and blood.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: