Friday, March 12, 2021

Amelia Unabridged by Ashley Schumacher - ADVISABLE

Amelia Unabridged by Ashley Schumacher, 304 pages. Wednesday Books (St. Martin’s Press), 2021. $19.

Language: PG13 (23 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

While her life has been far from perfect, 18-year-old Amelia has been happy -- in large part because of Jenna. Jenna is Amelia’s best friend who has planned out their lives perfectly. But then Jenna dies. Following a hope that is 60 percent whim, Amelia goes to Lochbrook to somehow get part of Jenna back, but happiness without Jenna is harder to grasp than it is to let go of.

Choosing to keep reading this book was difficult for me because I felt every blow that hit Amelia in the first few chapters, felt hope and happiness slipping from my grasp as I desperately reached for it to give back to her. To protect both Amelia and myself from more pain, I put down the book for weeks. I finally went back to Amelia’s story, praying that things might get better. Amelia’s journey took me with her step for step. There was more pain, but we found hope and dreams, too. Grief and loss never really go away, but we can move forward despite their weight that encourages stagnancy. Schumacher has crafted a story of hope for happiness even if our lives aren’t inherently happy. The mature content rating is for underage drinking.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: