Wednesday, February 26, 2020

To Drink and To Eat by Guillaume Long - NO

To Drink and To Eat by Guillaume Long, 136 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL. Oni Press, 2020. $34.

Language: R (29 swears, 3 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - NO

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

Long animates himself in this graphic novel as he teaches readers his favorite cooking tips, tricks, and recipes. Traveling as a foodie means opportunities to eat new foods, so Long’s cookbook is also part travel log. Good adventure is found both abroad and in the kitchen.

I love Long’s idea of making a graphic novel cookbook -- I’ve never seen anything like it. My favorite part is the creative ways Long finds to illustrate the 20+ different recipes. However, beyond the visual smorgasbord, I found the book difficult to read both because of poor font choices and because I felt like I had to slog through silly stories that I didn’t find very entertaining. The mature content rating is for nudity and a mention of orgasm.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: